What a moment! I’ve had the great pleasure of being invited by giffgaff to attend the Samsung Unpacked event at the Tobacco Dock in London, something I’ve been looking forward to for weeks. Samsung never fail to release innovative devices year on year, so I’m excited to see what they unveil this time. The day has finally come, so here’s everything you need to know about Samsung’s new Galaxy S10 lineup.
Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e
This year, in addition to the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+, we’re seeing the S10e model. Similar to how Apple introduced the iPhone XR to compliment the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, the Galaxy S10e sits in a lower price bracket than the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+.
The Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e all bear great resemblance to last year’s S9 lineup, but with welcomed improvements where needed. Bigger screens, better cameras, longer battery life, all things you would hope to see in a 2019 smartphone.
#1 Infinity-O Display
The most striking change, in line with the rumours, is that Samsung has done away with the bezels in favour of an Infinity-O display with a hole to accommodate the front-facing camera(s). Similar to how ‘notches’ on other smartphones behave, the camera hole sits in the top notification bar - you should barely notice it. With no home button, no notch for the receiver and a simple dot opening for the front camera, you’ll have an uninterrupted viewing experience. It even comes with a screen protector in the box to safeguard it against life’s little accidents.
#2 Wireless Power Sharing
PowerShare gives you the ability to wirelessly charge other smartphones, for example bringing your friend’s phone back to life if it’s drained. You can also stack your Galaxy Watch on top of your Galaxy S10 and charge them at the same time. You can also top up your Galaxy Buds when you’re on the move.
#3 True Vision Camera
Capture and keep moments as you see them. With a front camera and 3 rear cameras featuring an ultra-wide and zoom lens, the Galaxy S10 lets you shoot every scene just as your eyes see it. And when it’s dark, it’ll give you vibrant photos in even the dimmest light. It also records in HDR10+ for super vibrant colours.
#4 Fingerprint Scanner
The Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner is the newest way to keep your phone and information secure. It reads every ridge and notch of your finger, and because it sits under the screen your finger won’t accidentally smudge your rear camera ever again. It even performs in low temperatures and strong sunlight. To unlock your Galaxy S10, you’ll simply have to place your finger on the screen.
- S10+ - 157.6 x 74.1 x 7.8mm
- S10e - 142.3 x 69.9 x 7.9mm
- S10- 149.9 x 70.4 x 7.8mm
- S9- 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.4mm
- S10+ - 175g
- S10e - 151g
- S10 - 156g
- S9 - 163g
- S10+ - 6.4 inch WQHD+ Dynamic AMOLED Dual Curved Infinity-O3040 x 1440 (522ppi)19:9 display (90% Screen to body)HDR10+
- S10e - 5.8 inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED Flat Infinity-O 2280 x 1080 (438ppi)19:9 display (85% Screen to body)HDR10+
- S10 - 6.1 inch WQHD+ Dynamic AMOLED Dual Curved Infinity-O 3040 x 1440 (550ppi)19:9 display (90% Screen to body)HDR10+
- S9 - 5.8” WQHD+ Super AMOLED (2960x1440) 570 ppi
- S10+ - 128GB/512GB
- S10e - 128GB
- S10 - 128GB/512GB
- S9 - 64GB
- S10+ - Octa-Core, 64 bit
- S10e - Octa-Core, 64 bit
- S10 - Octa-Core, 64 bit
- S9 - Octa-Core 2.8GHz, 64 bit
- S10+ - 8GB/12GB
- S10e - 6GB
- S10 - 6GB/8GB
- S9 - 4GB
- S10+ - 4100mAh, PowerShare, Adaptive Fast Charge, Wireless Charging 2.0
- S10e - 3100mAh, PowerShare, Adaptive Fast Charge, Wireless Charging 2.0
- S10 - 3400mAh, PowerShare, Adaptive Fast Charge, Wireless Charging 2.0
- S9 - 3000mAh
- S10+ - IP68
- S10e - IP68
- S10- IP68
- S9 - IP68
- S10+- AKG Tuned Stereo Speakers, 3.5mm headphone port, Dolby Atmos 3D Sound
- S10e - AKG Tuned Stereo Speakers, 3.5mm headphone port, Dolby Atmos 3D Sound
- S10 - AKG Tuned Stereo Speakers, 3.5mm headphone port, Dolby Atmos 3D Sound
- S9 - Stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos surround sound
- S10+ - Front: 10MP UHD Super Speed Dual Pixel 8MP DOF 90° (f2.2) (f1.9) Wide 80° lens Rear: 12MP 77° Wide Dual Aperture Pixel (f1.5/f2.4)16MP 123° Ultra-Wide (f2.2) 12MP 45° 2X Telephoto Zoom (f2.4)HDR10+ / Scene Optimiser / Super Night Shot / Super Steady
- S10e - Front: 12MP 77° Wide Dual Aperture Pixel (f1.5/f2.4) + 16MP 123° Ultra-Wide (f2.2) Rear: 10MP UHD Super Speed Dual Pixel (f1.9) Wide 80° lens
- S10 - Front: 10MP UHD Super Speed Dual Pixel (f1.9) Wide 80° lens Rear: 12MP 77° Wide Dual Aperture Pixel (f1.5/f2.4) 16MP 123° Ultra-Wide (f2.2) 12MP 45° 2X Telephoto Zoom (f2.4) HDR10+ / Scene Optimiser / Super Night Shot / Super Steady
- S9 - Front: 8MP F/1.7 Rear: 12MP F/1.5 – F/2.4 (Dual aperture)
- S10+ - Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner, Face Recognition 2.0
- S10e - Electrostatic Side Fingerprint Scanner, Face Recognition 2.0
- S10 - Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner, Face Recognition 2.0
- S9 - Iris scanner, facial recognition and fingerprint sensor
When is it launching?
The Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e will be officially launched on 8th of March. giffgaff will take orders from 7th of March. Register your interest here.
How much will it cost?
Samsung Galaxy S10 - £799
Samsung Galaxy S10+ - £899
Samsung Galaxy S10e - £669
I think it’s fair to say that the S10 family is just an incremental upgrade over the S9, but with some very welcomed improvements. I was particularly impressed by the 123° ultra-wide camera, given that it matches the field of view of the human eye, the S10 will be capable of some breathtaking shots.
The PowerShare wireless charging is a neat feature if your friend’s smartphone runs out of juice (assuming their smartphone supports wireless charging) and will be handy for charging the upcoming Galaxy Buds - it means you won’t need 2 chargers. Compared with the S9, the S10 builds on solid foundations and I’m glad Samsung have kept the price accessible.
I hope you guys found this blog informative, be sure to drop a comment with what you think of the Galaxy S10 on the feedback form and thanks for reading.