Mobile phones "needed" for best festival experience
It's coming up to some of the summer's biggest festivals, Creamfields, Reading and Leeds are all taking place, this month.
We at giffgaff wanted to find out more about how you use your mobiles while at a festival, so we launched a nationwide survey of over 2,000 people.
Amazingly, 62% of all respondents said that their mobile phones improve the festival experience, with 59% using them for at least three hours, every day.
The survey also showed us that:
At music festivals, our respondents said they use their phones in the following ways:
- 87% communicate with other people at the festival
- 72% take photos or videos
- 47% browse social media
- 27% use the festival’s official app
- 25% browse news websites
- 9% check emails
The main way people communicate at a music festival:
- 47% via text message
- 14% via phone call
- 26% via a social media/instant messaging service such as Facebook messenger or WhatsApp.
- 13% via a video calling service such as FaceTime, Skype or Duo
- We at giffgaff have created a brand-new video, dedicated to the best mobile phones you can buy to make the most of your festival weekend.
Best phones for festivals
Keeping your phone safe
Of course, with so many of us losing our phones, not just at festivals, but anywhere, it is vital that you take advantage of all your device’s security features. This will protect the personal information stored on your phone, ensuring your contacts cannot be stolen, your photos and videos cannot be viewed and shared and your online/social accounts are secure.
Here are the key features of Apple and Android phones that make sure your phone can’t be accessed by strangers:
Setting a password on your phone’s lock screen is the first step to protecting yourself. This shouldn’t be a simple “1234” or “0000” password; it should be something personal to you that isn’t easy to guess, such as your mother’s birthday.
Utilise the fingerprint recognition system to ensure that only you and you alone can access your phone. Fingerprint recognition also eliminates the need for you to put in your password, although it is still a good idea you set a password for extra protection.
While those who have an iPhone should also make use of their pin code facility, downloading an app to locate a lost or stolen phone is a must.
Find My Phone is a free app from Apple, which allows you to call your device and even show messages to tell whoever is in possession of the phone that you are looking for it. In the worst-case scenario, you can also use this app to wipe your phone of all information to ensure that nobody stand a chance of accessing your personal data.
Festival hacks from our members
We also asked our members what you can do to get the most out of your festival experience. Read their festival life hacks, below:
- Invest in a portable charger. With 46% of our survey respondents saying the biggest problem they have with their phone at a festival is keeping it charged, a portable charger can be a real lifesaver during your weekend. Thanks to wagstaffej
- When camping, take more water than you think you’re going to need. First thing in the morning, you are likely to need a lot of hydration. Thanks to the_islander
- Invest in a fireproof tent. Thanks to finleyww19
- Pack lightly so you have less to lose and don’t have to worry about unpacking and repacking it at the end of the festival. Thanks to kathleen414
- Leave expensive items, such as jewellery and watches, at home. Thanks to ijustcantdoit
- Bring balloons so you are easier to find in a crowd of people if you get separated from your friends. Thanks to Jackson110
- Prepare for any weather; take sandals and wellies, take sunscreen and a waterproof coat. Thanks to karenyates.
- If possible, pack an air bed so you have somewhere soft to sleep and get a good night’s rest. Also, take a towel to dry yourself if you have a shower. Thanks to kennyk94
- Take a torch – if you lose something in the dark, it could be gone forever. Thanks to dewang69
Hello, we’re giffgaff
At the heart of it, we believe in something simple. A better way to do mobile. Embrace life with no contracts and come join a network where you’re in control. Spend less, change your plan each month. We don’t tie you down. So, come see what freedom feels like.